Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Triumphant, pure and strong...

I realized that it was kind of teasing to talk about trials without specifics. This is not a new trial, it started February 14, 2005. Matt suffered a stroke caused by arrhythmia in his heart. We first realized there was a problem when Matt couldn't say the word "shoes" to the kids as we were trying to leave my parents house. After an MRI and several other tests we were admitted at UVRMC, the cardiology unit. Matt was told that his heart was enlarged and out of rhythm, and he needed surgery and possibly a heart transplant. Scariest day of my life...
After the surgery, priesthood blessings, and a lot of praying, and the right medication, Matt has regained his strength, his speech, and the ability to do what he wants in life. It has been four years to the date of healthy happy Matt.
This weekend our world was rocked and memories of that scariest day came flooding back. Matt's heart went out of rhythm again. It's hard to describe the feelings of helplessness as you watch your big strong husband cry in fear of his life, fear to leave his family too early. It's so frustrating when the medication's fail and nothing seems to help. Again we rely on faith in priesthood blessings, and power in prayer. Today prayers were answered after a long day in the hospital, with talented doctors and nurses who cared about this 32 year old family man with three little kids and one on the way. It was such a comfort to know that we were in the best possible care. Like Magic Matt's heart is back in rhythm tonight and I couldn't be happier. Thank you friends and family who have kept us in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Melissa. I cried a little while reading this I can't imagine how you guys are feeling right know. I am so thankful Matt is feeling better. I will continue to keep your sweet family in my prayers though. Take Care!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine going through something like this. You guys have been made stronger by this trial and I hope it's not something that will ever happen again. I can imagine that Valentine's Day brings back those haunting memories, but I hope it also has good ones too! You have a beautiful family, Melissa and I hope that I can keep up on your family from now on!

Mary(Breitenstein) Mauck

Amy Chandler said...

You're in our prayers! I'm glad that things are getting better. We have been worried since we heard the news. Let us know if we can do anything!

Maria said...

Hang in there. You are a special person and have such a sweet family. I wish you all the best. Let me know if I can do anything.

Brittanie said...

I feel dumb being so close and not knowing what's going on. I am sorry this happened again. Is there anything we can do? Take the boys. etc? You are a strong and very spiritual person and will make it through...sniff sniff....K I'm going to cry now..Bye! ;)