Saturday, December 13, 2008

Money doesn't grow on trees...

I want to know how to teach kids that money doesn't grow on trees...
Yesterday Hunter talked Matt into giving him some money to buy a gift for his brothers at the school store. I of course was against the idea because I think 1st graders are too young to be sent to school with any amount of money.... But I lost the battle and Matt gave Hunter three dollars to buy whatever he wanted. Matt's argument was "he needs some Independence."
So with Hunters Independence... he came home with a silly green bell and said his friend gave it to him. I didn't ask what he bought at the store at that moment because I was on my way to meet with is teacher to plan his Christmas party. While talking to his teacher the office called because a little boy in the class came home with three dollars and the Aunt wanted to know where it came from. The boy said Hunter gave it to him?... Strangely enough I was sitting there at that moment and figured out how the Green bell came into play. The little "friend" traded the green bell (given to him by his one to one teacher), for Hunter's three dollars...
I was really sad for two reasons. First Hunter is the sweetest little boy in the world and It broke my heart that kids are taking advantage of his kindness. This little boy knew exactly what he was doing. And second, I'm sad that I haven't taught Hunter the value of money. It bug's me that Hunter thought it was a good trade, three dollars for a dumb green bell. The only thing that has settled my mind is that this kid comes from a very broken home, and he probably could have used the three dollars, even to just make his day brighter. But from now on our kids will know that Money doesn't grow on trees...

6 comments:

Brittanie said...

Oh, that is a sad story. I know how tender-hearted Hunter is. I want to know who that kid was! =)
I had to laugh though because Allyssa begged for $$ for the store too. I gave her $3 and told her to find some gifts for family. That night the report was....
1. She lost $1 dollar.
2. She bought 2 notepads and a pen for $1.
3. She gave Ashley $1 because she didn't have any money.
So yes, I need some help too. ;)

Knudsen Crew said...

That is way sad! I can totally picture this little "trade" taking place.

That is too bad that kids don't know the value of a dollar. The bright side is, Hunter is a sweet person. I don't think you can really teach that...

You have three sweet little boys!

Jessie said...

That is too bad. I think it was a good learning experience for him. I never did like when kids brought money to school as a teacher. They would always play with it or lose it. It's interesting how those "trouble students" were always so good with money. They couldn't read but they could count money. Well it was a good lesson for him if anything.

robertsfamily2002 said...

He is such a cute kid. When he came in to give us the cute christmas card and poinsettia,(thanks by the way)he was so cute just talking to us and not being shy. I can tell that he has a generous heart, too bad kids can see it and take advantage of it.

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for Hunter. I too am wondering how to teach my kids the value of money - they always choose a nickel over a dime, cause the nickel is bigger. And dollar bills aren't nearly as exciting as coins of any kind.

Ty n Casey's Mom said...

oh my goodness, Melissa, the same type of experience happened to Tyler this summer. He got taken advantage of after selling stuff door-to-door. He did all the work and his other friends were only "helpers." When he came home with no money I was so mad. In my wrath I confronted the kids about it, but of course no one had a clue where the money it. uh-huh, sure. Let me know if you figure out a way to teach money value to Hunter -- Tyler obviously needs that lesson!!!