Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Not a Festival tree, But...

This year both Matt and I wanted to get a new tree, one that was taller for our tall ceilings with more lights and no musty storage smell. We really just couldn't this year and it was a little discouraging and depressing. But it was our boys who taught us a good lesson this year about the joy in memories and tradition. Grant was just torn apart with the idea of getting a new tree. He thought it wouldn't be Christmas without our old little tree, So we put the tree up and tried to like it. Then we got out the old box of Christmas ornaments. For 9 years now Matt and I have collected Christmas ornaments every where we have gone as our souvenir. Last year I tried to buy all new ornaments and make our tree look like one of "the festival of trees" tree. It just didn't feel the same. And this year when I started unwrapping memories and hanging them on our little tree, it just felt like Christmas with my sweet family. I love the four first Christmas ornaments, the cute ones the boys have made at school, and sweet memories I have with my cute hubby.
Our tree isn't a festival tree, it's a memory tree and It makes me so Happy.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Love it! Memory trees are the best :) It's beautiful :)

mrs. farlanderz said...

those are my favorite trees! We are working on collecting ornaments now so we can have a tree like that one day!

Knudsen Crew said...

Cute Tree! I am so excited for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa!! I was a little dissapointed that we don't have a tall tree for our tall ceilings and there is no theme to my ornaments. Reading this gave me a better attitude.
BTW - I think your tree looks great! We need to be honest with ourselves - memory trees are better than a festival tree. :)
We miss you guys and hope you are enjoying your Christmas season.

Scott, Fia, Tre, and CJ said...

It's all about the memories and family! I would've voted for your tree!!!